What We Do In The Environment
- Our community’s children planted 90 trees on World Earth Day 2013, revitalizing the northern part of the tailing dam’s reforestation program.
- We provide a nursery for plants in the region, reproducing an estimated 10,000 plants per year.
- Our reforestation plan provides for an estimated 7,500 plants to be planted every year from May to July.
- Our dry stack tailings process means we recycle more of our process solutions within the plant. The process effectively reduces our water consumption and eliminates the risk of discharging harmful solutions to the environment.
Reclamation & Revegetation
Recognizing that we are stewards of our natural environment, we have adopted the technology of dry stacked tailings at a considerable added cost to our operations. However, we believe the benefits far outweigh the cost considerations and will bring long-lasting values. We have taken on this ethic that embraces responsible planning and management of our resources. The following are just a few of the benefits of dry stacking our tailings:
- We recycle more of our process solutions within the plant;
- We effectively reduce our water consumption by as much as 80 to 85% and reduce windborne dust;
- We eliminate the risk of discharging harmful solutions to the environment;
- We reduce the impact on our environment in terms of land area that we use for the tailings, as dry stack facilities require a smaller footprint compared to other surface tailings disposal systems, while creating a much more stable impoundment geotechnically;
- We eliminate groundwater contamination through seepage;
- We revegetate our land area with greater efficiency and ease.